Saturday, December 15

Brockley & Bazil are Home!!!

Both dogs are home, fed, bathed, happy and resting contentedly.

I had been out calling for them all morning every half hour or so, like yesterday. We had a bad storm last night and I spent half the night unable to sleep, worried about them being out there cold, wet and alone.

A couple hours ago I was out calling when I heard Bazil's deep barking reply and he came bounding across the field. He must have heard me and just taken off at full speed. I opened the door and Bazil ran in- I heard Trace's calls of  "Og, Og" so I knew he must have headed for the boys room. I called for Brockley for another five minutes or so, but didn't see or hear him. I went in, Bazil was curled up in a ball in the corner of the boys room just looking exhausted, poor puppy (he's 13 months old). I'm not really sure why he went there instead of to 'his spot' first, he must have heard the boys and wanted to be with his family. I got him some food and picked up the phone to call Trevor at work.

 As I told Trevor Bazil was home I opened the front door to call for Brockley some more. Brockley was sitting on the porch looking at the door like he'd been there all alone. I told Trevor, "Brockley's home!" and let Brock inside. Brockley did immediately go for 'his spot' our bed. Ack, what a mess- but quilts wash. For some reason, even though both my puppies were home, I looked across the field before I went inside. Some distance back was another dog. The mystery of why they ran off was solved. They must have seen this dog and taken off after him. I called to the dog for a moment, but he didn't move. He seemed well fed- hopefully he has a family he will find his way back to soon.

Bazil seems no worse for the wear. He is a beast of a dog, even at barely over a year old. We had no idea when we got him that rot/lab mixes get significantly bigger then either of the parent breeds. Live and learn. He's a sweetheart of a dog, despite his size. 

Brock, was my biggest concern. We have coyotes in the area, and as some of you may have already guessed if you are familiar with coyotes- Brockley is probably himself mostly coyote. We got him from the pound when he was 7 or 8 weeks old, he was brought into them by someone who said they had found him in the woods. On his tag he was listed as maybe being a German Shepard mix, but unknown. Brock was a couple years old before we saw a vet that mentioned, "He's almost all coyote, isn't he?" in an obviously rhetorical manner. Neither Trevor or I had realized before what was obvious to Brock's vet- and us once it was pointed out. Our puppy was a coyote pup, probably inadvertently stumbled upon by a hicker. Brock is pretty large for a coyote (50lbs give or take, as well as being longer and taller then most coyotes). Probably because of having a good steady diet and veterinary care. Advantages his feral counterparts don't have. Living where we do, I am always afraid Brock may go running off across the field and be shot by a farmer or hunter mistaking him for a feral coyote.

Brockley did come away a little worse for the wear then Bazil. They were both so covered in mud that it took me a little bit to realize Brockley was bleeding. Very slightly, from around one eye. He kept rubbing it with his paws, which I think was keeping it bleeding. 

I gave them both baths and was careful to clean the area around Brockley's eye well. Which seems to have stopped bleeding sometimes during Brock's bath. Will need to take both into the vet next week just to make sure there isn't anything I missed, but both seem fine. The dogs were unusually subdued during their baths. Almost like they were saying, 'I'm home. I'm fed. I can deal with your odd need to bathe me if that's the cost of being home.' Which is good, because they were both filthy, amazingly so. Trevor has been the only one that could get Bazil into the bath for months (by bodily picking him up and putting him there). So if he hadn't been so unusually cooperative, I'm sure I would have had a very dirty house to clean by the time Trevor got home. 


After the dogs were bathed and settled Tristian came out and said, 'Mom, I'm very glad Bazil and Brockley are home." Then when back to building his train track in his bedroom. So very Tristian. On the contrary, Trace was right on top of both dogs until I managed to distract him with some beaded necklaces I bought at the dollar store for a craft. 

We also have a lead in how they got out. A co-worker of Trevor's said in their neighborhood they had been having problems with what the neighborhood association believed was a kid or kids letting neighborhood dogs out of fences. But... she (the co-worker) thought it had stopped. When Trevor told me that, my mind of course went to the fact that we have a neighbor that recently moved- and to all the times their own dogs get out and they've complained to us that they have no idea how they are getting out. This is the same neighbor with the child that lit the trees across the street on fire, throws rocks (one of which hit my two year old), possibly threw the pool table ball (now missing from their set) that hit Amanda's windsheild, and who knows what else. The time we know the gate must have been opened during (I found out last night Trevor left for work at 6:30am rather then the normal 7:00am) includes the time period before school when the neighbor children would have been leaving to go wait for the school bus.

So Trevor is buying three locks. One for the back side gate facing our other neighbors- which we are less worried about, since we've lived next to them five years this coming August with no problems ever. Two, though, for the large front gate- the one just feet from our new neighbor's yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive