Are there any you use a lot? I have two that come to mind immediately, and I'm sure I've used more with Tris I can't think of at the moment.
There is the classic:
I before E except after C or when sounded as A as in Neighing or Weigh....
Unless the word is WEIRD!
I added the last part about the word weird when I was in school and noticed that weird in fact does not fallow this rule. I've been told that in the English language more words don't then do follow that rule, but for most basic words it seems to work... so we use it.
The one that sparked this post is:
A is one, a couple is two, a few is three or four,
five or six is some and several is 7 or more.
I asked Tristian to go get me 'some' of an item.
He looked up and said, "I'll get you five, because five is some."
His dad laughed and said, "Our child, who must put an exact to arbitrary things."
To which I said, "No, that's right, some is five or six- we have a rhyme for it!"
To which Trevor replied- very eloquently, "Huh."
Hehe, although in his defense we made up that rhyme to help Tristian learn what numbers to associate the words with. I've been trying to come up with something catchy for the almost, around and about. almost means not quiet there, around means more or less there, about means there or more. Almost and around most people seem to know, but many people use about interchangebly with around or almost. I had a math teach in Jr High that bothered to no end. She made sure to drill the fact that about was not almost or around, but had it's own meaning of there or above.
Are there any rhymes that you know and use or have made up and use to help teach and remember concepts?
- ► 2016 (31)
- ► 2015 (39)
- ► 2014 (159)
- Brotherly (in law) Bonding
- Grateful For #86: Easter Egg Hunts! (videos)
- Happy Easter!!!
- Grateful For #85: Sandboxes!
- Handmade Hats For Trace =)
- Grateful For #84: Spring Flowers
- Read Along Toy Story
- BIG NEWS- Tristian Loves Getting Replies!!!
- Grateful For #83: Nice Weather
- Using Other's Images and Writings
- Grateful For #82: Melting Snow!
- Ladder Yarn Necklaces
- Grateful For #81: Ah-Ha! Moments
- The Writing on the Wall (journal activity)
- Grateful For #81: Hot Showers
- Where In The World Is Spring!?!? (LOTS more snow)
- Grateful for #80: Yummy Food and Good Shows
- Exploring More About Animals
- Grateful For # 79: Being Home Safe and Sound
- Educational Game Fundraises with Discounts and Giv...
- Decorative ScrapStar (also in Monroe)
- Grateful For #78: Shared Viewpoints
- Doctor Who and Torchwood
- Grateful For #77: Crafts
- Mod Podge Easter Basket Craft =)
- Grateful For #76: Less Debt
- Me Dolls (for All About ME! unit)
- Free App- Counting with the Very Hungry Caterpille...
- Oh Look- A Tunnel!
- Grateful For #75: Tax Refund Being On Time
- Asthma Attacks Don't Come With Sirens
- Grateful For #74: Trace Only Having Allergies
- Doctor Office Update
- Eating Breakfast Waiting To Call Doctor
- A New Blog Design!
- Grateful For #73: Catechism
- Reward Choosing/Planning for the Zoo
- Grateful For #72: Warmer Weather
- Rediscovered YUM- Apples and Nutella
- Grateful For #71: Mod Podge
- ALL YOU: March Magazine Coupon Round Up
- Grateful For #71: Monkey Trace
- IMP Wildlife Explorer Trial Set Experience
- Grateful For #70: Washers and Dryers
- Mom vs Bathtime- Toddler Wins
- Grateful For #69: Daylight Savings Time
- Profile Photo Fun
- Grateful For #68: Educational Shows
- Just About the Boys and My Health
- Grateful For #67: Rainy Sunday Afternoon Naps
- Teaching Rhymes
- Grateful For #66: Being Us
- Keepsake Box Craft
- Grateful For #65: Warmer Weather Snow Fun
- Video- Last Sledding of the Season (hopefully)
- Grateful For #64: Simple Pleasures
- Give Trace a Large Ball...
- Grateful For #63: Beanitos Chips
- To Be a Kid in a Bubble Bath
- Grateful For #62: A Husband That Brings Me Supper ...
- Winter Charm Bracelet
- Grateful For #61: State Taxes Being Accepted
- What's In A Name? (activity)
- Grateful For #60: Taxes being done
- I Wish I Could Sleep Like That! (on Daddy)
- Grateful for #59: Toys
- Last Couple Weeks Deal Stacking
- Grateful For #58: Good Health Insurance
- Why Netflix Is On The Way Out (and should be)
- ▼ March (69)