Friday, September 6

Our A+LearningLink (discount link included)

One of the first things I tackled for this year was assessments. The Missouri homeschool laws leave this really open ended. Saying only to keep an evaluation record. Not specifying what form it should take. Last year I simply went over the standards with Tris at the beginning, mid and end of the year marking how he did. This year I wanted something a little more... official, I guess. I looked around online and found out this type of assessment testing is rather expensive. I ended up back at the same free Homeschool Co-op (CLICK HERE to see) I'd discovered while searching for an IXL Math discount looking to see if there were any discounts for assessment tests.


Both offer Math and English/Reading assessments. The end prices of each were very similar. Let's Go Learn was $56 instead of the $70 it would cost on their website ($35 for 2 tests in each subject). A+LearningLink was $57.45 instead of the $70 retail for theirs. Each price is for 2 pre and 2 post tests including the co-op's processing fee. This made A+LearningLink 18% off and Let's Go Learn 20% off after all applicable fees.

Even though Let's Go Learn is the better up front deal, being a bit cheaper through the co-op then A+LearningLink; we decided on A+LearningLink. A+LearningLink uses the actual Missouri GLE & CLE 2.0 standards for it's assessments and in general seemed more in line with how I am hoping to utilize the tests. Let's Go Learn's adaptive assessment also stated it was in line with state standards and really does seem like a wonderful resource. It was one of the harder choices I've had to make yet in homeschooling, we've been lucky enough to date that we normally run into option that seem 'perfect' for our uses when compared to others options.

5 comments:

  1. Calyn, have you considered Stanford Achievement Testing? I only do it for sixth grade because I know about where my kids stand. I have them spend their sixth year doing test taking skills and then take the test in the spring. I didn't know you were in Missouri!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are in Columbia =) That is not an option I found while searching this year, tyvm! I will def be checking into that.

      Delete
  2. Hello Calyn and Melanie. First Calyn, thanks for the compliments on DORA. I am the co-founder of Let's Go Learn. I saw your posts and thought I would chime in. If your states require more alignment to state standards reports then some of these other assessments would make more sense. Our emphasis is on informing instruction. So in cases where your child is behind or advanced we can help zero in on where you should focus your instruction. We also just added a free link to Khan Academy for our ADAM math assessment. So our goal is to help you teach your children with sometimes free tools that are available. When you need testing just for accountability then at times these other tests may have greater alignment like the Standard Achievement Test. Hope that makes sense. Happy homeschooling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Richard =) That discription is very much how I saw it, also. I loved the adaptive aspect... and it was vety tempting. In the long run, however, I am alreafy very comfortable with knowing where my son needs help. Since my main goal for the assessment tests is accountability, I ended up leaning towards A+LearningLink. It honestly was a hard choice and I still really love the concept of your program! Thanks again for taking a moment to come by!

      Delete
    2. Sry for the typos... pecked that out on my tablet, ;-)

      Delete