Wednesday, January 15

The Brick Bible (Lego Dipicted, Athiest Created)

We purchased at Barnes and Nobles what we felt, in good faith, was a delightful depiction of the Bible using Lego pieces as a gift for a nephew or our own son. As I began to lightly read through it at home I was more and more aghast. Looking into reviews and the author's site I was disgusted. All claims of inaccuracy of the bible aside; we all know there are ways to spin the view of any story to be worse or better based on your personal intentions.

The author of The Brick Bible does this with selective passages and mis-representative illustration. This makes all the comments about, 'well he used real biblical quotes/stories' moot and void. As does the use of Lego pieces make all points that it's not marketed towards children moot and void (just like cigarette cartoon characters weren't marketing towards children, right?). I personally find it very underhanded to use a beloved children's toy to create a gory, negatively spun view of another group's most sacred book. One that children and parents of said group will obviously gravitate towards- without anything in the about of the book anywhere that it was written by an atheist (one who seems to have a very negative view of the Christian faith, at that).

For instance, he depicts actual hate and fire in the illustration of Luke 14:26 or Matthew 10:34. Which I will leave explanation of to the excellent cultural and contextual interpretation found by CLICKING HERE. Suffice it to say that any words taken out of context and twisted by graphic illustrations can be made to mean very nearly whatever one wants. For example, were I to blog after a snow storm sometime having so much snow is killing me it would be inaccurate in the extreme for another to come along, take those words, illustrate them with a image of snow literally killing me and repost. Precluding, of course that the actual post was not made while snow was killing me somehow (perhaps Doctor Who snowmen style).




I see on Amazon and any other site which does a story or reviews that those who feel as I do are lashed out against and/or replied to with trite little 'well it is the bible' and down voted. All the rationalizing and down voting in the world doesn't change that the intent of the author was to demean a theological view point that ran counter to his own. The author even calls himself a Reverend because he feels he has as much right to the title as any religious figure does. A read through of this false reverend, Brendan Powell Smith's, website(s) shows this his books using a popular children's toy are unlikely to be done with neutral or positive intent.

I find the entire situation deceitful and underhanded. I have family and friends who are atheist and so far those who I've talked to about it have agreed, live and let live. If you are going to write a biblical representation from an Atheist agenda- that's fine, even hilarious or enlightening. However, be up front and honest of where you're coming from theologically on the about of your depiction of another group's most sacred theological book. Or better yet- put it on the cover.

*I wanted to leave a note saying I was very impressed with the easy return policy at Barnes and Nobles. 

2 comments:

  1. I must say I was very saddened by this :/ Wow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty upset also, honestly. It took me a few drafts and having my husband read over it before I felt I had been able to write a level headed post. I'm pretty live and let live, imo- but that doesn't cover when another attacks something I hold dear. You believe what you want, I'll believe what I want. However, no need to attack each other for different views- you know?

      Delete